Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Week Five: Wikis

Before doing the activities this week, I have to admit that when I thought of wikis I mainly just thought about Wikipedia. I was very impressed with the library at Antioch University's training and support wiki. The level of detail on this wiki was amazing! I would never have thought of making a library policy and training manual available as a wiki, but it's an excellent idea, and it's something that I could see our library doing. I also liked the Book Lovers Wiki at the Princeton Public Library. I liked the idea of having a wiki where library patrons are able to write their own book reviews and share their thoughts with others. I've bookmarked the Library Success best practices Wiki. I've only skimmed what is available on it, but it looks like it's full of a great deal of useful information.

I wasn't sure what to make of the University of Limerick's Cataloguer's wiki. It seemed like a strange hodgepodge of different things. It contains a cataloging manual, but then it also has links to sites such as the Catholic Encyclopedia and the Internet Movie Database. I found the fact that ads kept popping up on this wiki to be bothersome. The St. Joseph County Public Library wiki seemed more like a website than a wiki to me.

I haven't looked at it closely yet, but I know VIVA has an ILL wiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment