Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Thing Seventeen: Social Cataloging

I created an account for LibraryThing. Since I read a great deal of historical fiction, I added a number of titles dealing with British and French historical fiction to my personal library. I spent most of my time on LibraryThing reading reviews and looking at the ratings which other readers had given to the books I added to my library. The statistics on LibraryThing's "Zeitgeist" section were impressive--over 1 million members and over 54 million books cataloged!

One difference which I did notice among LibraryThing, goodreads, and shelfari, is the "cost of service." While both goodreads and shelfari are free, on LibraryThing adding the first 200 books is free; after you reach that amount you have to pay.

I enjoyed trying to answer some trivia questions on goodreads and also took some of goodreads' quizzes. Can't say I did too well on the quizzes!

The link to my personal catalog is
http://www.librarything.com/catalog/Grether

No comments:

Post a Comment